Thursday, May 28, 2009

Painting Advice from Moon

When my mother was studying at Syracuse, her mother, Mary Wands Campbell, aka Moon, sent her a helpful painting guide based on what she had learned while a student there herself. She boils it down to the bare essentials.
She covers choosing subject matter, composition, preparing the surface, color mixing, and cleaning up in a succinct manner.

Click on the image to enlarge

College age Janice with Geezil, the family cat.

One of my mother's professors at Syracuse, Professor Bertram Walker, had taught Moon, too. Moon took the opportunity to write him a letter describing Janice's background, and apologizing for not having made more of a mark in the art world herself.


Athens, Pa. R.D. 2
Feb 4th, 1941

Professor C. Bertram Walker
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY

Dear Professor Walker,

Janice reports to us that you have identified her as the daughter of one of your old pupils. I had in mind to write you + introduce her, but she seemed shy about it, though I told her how nice you would be to her. Learning that you had retained some of my compositions to show her occasioned various sentiments particularly surprise.

I was seldom able to feel that I had done well, and remember chiefly the great joy of studying in that happy atmosphere and working in my chosen field. I can wihs nothing better for Janice than the same, including instructors, and it is improbable that you have now any pupil happier there, than she is. Her aim has been to illustrate books for children. She takes a considerable interest in portrait and enjoys working in oils.

I like the way beginners’ composition is being taught now. The things achieved in black + white arrangements impress and amaze me. We have compared some of our freshman work in cast. etc. and not to my advantage.

Janice began to draw when she was a year and a half old, and continued persistently from then on, with no urging other than a supply of materials. She followed her own bent, which led her, lately to work in a small way, miniature + minute. It has been interesting to see how this tendency gave way to something of strength and vigor.

There was no art teacher or art course in school or High School while she was there, so, in trying for one of the scholarships in Painting last summer, she had no school work to submit. We have been able to give her one year of college, which we thought worthwhile in itself + which would enable her to decide whether she would be interested enough to work + help herself, and she is, and so, so far, so good.

She may have more persistence, artistically, than I had, but likely even less, if possible, in a business way. And so may happen never to make any more of a name in the world than have I. Perhaps I ought to take this opportunity to apologize to my Alma Mater for never having returned anything in the way of honor + glory, though, doubtless, the old Alma mater has become fairly philosophical about cases of this sort. Circumstances have seemed to snow me under. However, I continue to feel frequently that there lurks somewhere, as it were, an unfinished chapter, needing illustrations, or something of the sort, and something must be done about it, however rustily.

Our life and lot have been in many respects, very usual. We have our home here, very modest, definitely so, in a small village across the Susquehanna from the Town of Athens. The valley is pleasant, and bordered by enjoyable hills; an ideal place to raise a daughter and a son. My husband is a Syracusan, too, although he spent what should have been his Senior Year sorting mail in (AEF) Chaumont, and here we have very closely approximated what is called, “Living the Simple Life”.

My visits to Syracuse are infrequent. That of recent date was a mere dash. Summer before last, Janice having graduated from High School, I brought her up, when summer school was in session, to see the place, a visit which chanced to be incorrectly timed for seeing any of my old professors. I hope some time in the future, to plan better.

I remember you always gratefully.
Your Pupil,

Lavinia Mary Wands Campbell

(Mrs. Herbert Campbell)


Janice and Harrison moving to the house on Center Street.



The Campbell home on Center Street in East Athens, PA. It was set on a large lot, perhaps an acre, with a barn, outbuildings, and an outhouse. Moon had a lovely rock garden, fruit trees, and a vegetable garden. Their water came from a pump, and running water and and an inside bathroom was not installed until the 1960's.


Moon and Janice exchanged letters and postcards every few days, and no one was a bigger fan of my mother than Moon. Their letters contained comments about the activities of their local art groups and their artist friends. Below is an excerpt from one such letter (Beezie was Moon's nickname for my mother):

March 23, 1965


Dear Beezie,


Your comments on all the Art shows, etc, etc, are most entertaining. You seem to be doing pretty well – considering the incredible competition of one of the most so areas in the US. What sort of stuff does the Yonkers Art Assn. favor?? So “Abstract” is old hat. I shall for the present, use the words “Literal” and “Illiteral”. Yes – you were favored, indeed to have those 2 guests from the City. I have preserved, and you may see – a report from the Art Section of a high brow magazine along this line and a more unintelligible batch of utter gobbledy-gook I never wish to view. Of course it may be me – you know there have been some chimpanzees who enjoy slapping on the paint + cover the canvas in fine, free style and at least once some wag entered this work in a show and drew rave notices.
As for you, you have the rarest ability of all, a real flair for portrait, + these Illiterals can never become popular in this field – where as you can easily, now and then, do anything they can do, with your feet, while knitting mittens. Sometime you must try for a wholly portrait show – like the guy on 47th street – and put in plenty of small children and infants – very few can do these + I never heard of a show that largely featured small kids. Time Magazine used to run covers in the most amazingly literal style, + I see now they have an unremarkable freer production, occasionally.
...........

Compliments on the little head! Nice.
Love to all - Moon

1 comment:

Janet said...

Hey, Angela? The second page doesn't seem to be available as a larger version. Or at least not for me!