Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Chance Encounter

Last Spring, I had the good fortune to meet Teena Shorb, who spends part of each year living in Maine. Of course, I had to ask if she was familiar with Port Clyde, where Janice and Norm lived.  Imagine my surprise to discover that she not only knew them, but that she owns two of my mother's paintings.  She graciously agreed to photograph them so I could include them on the "Art in the Family" blog.  See below:


'Windows thru Woods" 20 1/2"  X 24 1/2" - purchased in 1989

"Roaring Spout"  71/2" x 13 1/2" - purchased in 1991


Both of these painting are of scenes from the St. George Peninsula of Maine, which extends south from Thomaston, Port Clyde being at the very tip.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

The water treatment in "Roaring Spout" is terrific. This is a great blogsite, organized and easy to access. Keep up the good work

mikey

Steven Hartley said...

Is Norm Tate still alive?

I love his work on Pinocchio...one of my favourites!!

Angela Candela said...

Norm died in 2006. He was talented in so many ways. You can see photos and read about him at http://www.webmentor.com/

Anonymous said...

Angela,

I was a friend of your sister Marjorie's at DFHS. She was a year or two ahead of me and we lost contact when she graduated.

I remember spending hours at your parent's house, visiting, eating dinner and working on all sorts of projects with Marjorie. I was delighted to see a photo of the aluminum trellis, it had been, with your mother's paintings, the most vivid visual memories I have of your home in Dobbs.

Your mother was an incredible artist, in a time when it was still so hard for a female artist to be recognized. I remember to this day the juxtaposition of two portraits she was working on at the same time. A conventional portrait she was doing for a client and a wonderful freewheeling portrait of Manning with his car. Both were exceptional.

I found this blog when I searched for Marjorie's name with only a slim hope of finding her and was delighted to see this wonderful site.

If you can, please pass along my email to Marjorie if she wants to get in touch I would love to hear from her.

Kathleen Shannon (shay) (kssagharbor@Yahoo.com)