Saturday, August 31, 2019

Children at Play

Visiting my grandparents was something I looked forward to with great anticipation.  Once we arrived, one of the first things I would want to do was to run over to the East Athens school house up the street, and play on the monkey bars.  It was exciting to have a playground so close, and we usually had it to ourselves.  Here is a painting Janice did of the school.

According to neighbor Katherine Burns: 
  "It had only about three or four rooms and may have started as a one room school house. She gave that to the East Athens Community Hall where it hung for many years. It now hangs at the Spalding Memorial Library and Museum in Athens."


In a similar vein is a painting she did of my sisters and me climbing a tree in springtime.  We loved to climb trees as children, but this particular tree did not exist, so the scene was from Janice's imagination.  I particularly liked the way she laid the paint on so thickly that you could actually reach out and feel the blossoms.



No comments: