Saturday, April 11, 2009

Janice in her own words

Janice Candela at home in Dobbs Ferry, NY
ca. 1975



Born in 1923 in Athens, PA, I attended Syracuse University, as did my parents before me, receiving my Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Illustration in 1944.

My mother, while primarily a homemaker, was an incredibly skillful painter and illustrator, and her achievements had a strong influence on my artistic efforts, leading me to strive toward excellence of draftsmanship, color harmony, and mood-depiction. I have been drawing from the time I could first hold a pencil, but didn’t begin working in oils until 1940, and this has been my major medium ever since.

I was employed as a commercial artist in New York City, studying at the Art Students league under Louis Bouche, and at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. I was married in 1947, and moved to Westchester County in 1951. I had become affiliated with American Portrait Artists of New York in 1948 and worked steadily with this group until 1977.
As our four children grew, I kept painting –restaurant murals in New York – private portrait commissions ranging from one-hour oil portrait “sketches” to completely finished renditions – the full gamut of easel painting.

Additionally there were the “peoplescapes”, landscapes with “built in” secondary scenes and figures. These were very popular in the ‘60’s and ‘70”s, and were a lot of fun to produce. Ideally, the figures are well hidden. Once a customer returned a landscape she had purchased complaining, “there are PEOPLE hiding in there”.

I was very active in the Westchester Art Society and the Yonkers Art Association. I’ve had exhibitions at the Mari Gallery in Mamaroneck, Summerfield Gallery in Dobbs Ferry, the Art Barn in Greenwich, CT, Galimaufry in Croton, and Galerie des Beaux Artes in Scranton, PA. I have also shown in countless public buildings in New York City and its suburbs.

From 1972 until 1977 I executed illustrations for the Bulletin, a Doubleday publication based in Garden City, NY.

My husband (Joseph V. Candela) died in 1968, and I was remarried in 1972. With my present husband (Norman P. Tate), I retired to Port Clyde in 1976. (We just kept looking ‘til we found the perfect place) As members of the Port Clyde Arts and Crafts Society, we helped maintain their gallery over the Port Clyde General Store (I hung the shows) for the nine years that we were permitted to use that space.

I now show with Gallery-by-the-Sea, and as hobbies enjoy gardening, quilting, and rug making. Occasionally I experiment with watercolor.

-Janice Candela Tate (1923-1995)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Cookie, I took the photos of my picture that is in my mom's house. Where would you like me to forward them to? My e-mail address is wattshot@aol.com

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Judi Stern Levine

Toby Trustman Papageorge said...

Hi Cookie, I love what you are doing for your Mother's art, she was incredible. I modelled for her group I have 2 oils and several Pt Clyde greeting cards. What is your e-mail? Regards, Toby Trustman Papageorge

Anonymous said...

Hello-
Lovely watercolors! I wanted to let you know that I just bought one at auction. Please let me know if you have any interest in it. I'd be happy to at least take photos of it for you and for your records.. You can email me at bwfahy@tds.net.
Thanks, Ben

Anonymous said...

Hi there, We just hung one of your mom's oils, a fairly large one of a quarry face, in our home in Swampscott MA. It was previously owned by my mother-in-law Anne Wallace, who was a good friend of your mom's on the St. George peninsula. Best wishes, Trudi & Jim Olivetti jim.olivetti at gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Cookie I am someone who knew you as a child in Dobbs Ferry. My grandmother lived behind you on Meadoway. She was Mrs Euler. I am Diane. I found this blog today. I was delighted I have been looking for info about your motherfor some time. Iam an artist too. I feel your mom had an influence on my love for oil painting. She did my portrait as a child. That had helped to inspire me. Im glad you also pursued art.deannawoodsartist@mail.com

Anonymous said...

Do you have any prints from port Clyde? I moved from there back in 1980. She painted a portrait of my sisters and I as a going away gift to my parents. I would love to have something of hers. I remember how sweet she was to us kids. She lived across the street.

Dfenderplayer said...

I found a pastel from Janice

Unknown said...

My mother just gave me a Janice Tate 1969 certified painting. Not sure what to do with it though its beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I recently purchased a painting that I believe must be your mothers. I’d love to share it with you. If you’re interested.

Kat Livingston said...

I purchased a painting which I believe was your mothers form the signature. I would be happy to show it to you. You can reach me at Katlivingston04@gmail.com